Sunday, February 15, 2009

JEG HADER MIN CYCLE

I hate my bike.

Everything about my bike screams at me to take a large hammer and make it flat on the ground.  Every two days or so since I have been here there has been something wrong with it.  Following the discovery of what is wrong with it, it can take up to a week to fix, I guess that is a mix between laziness and frustration.  My bike is my life here, and if I do not have it I do not leave the house, purely because it takes too long to go anywhere without it.  
Current problem with my bike:
The pedal and the crank shaft on the pedal system fell apart... which means the bike will go to the shop until new pedals and gears are put on.  Most people do not have this type of problem, in fact, I think that this bike has to be the worst constructed thing on earth.  The handle bars are to far back so I can not ride it without hands, the gears have been falling apart since day one, the chain is getting rusty(my fault I guess),  and I have had 7 flat tires.  Good God, I can't take it anymore.

A little info on Danish names.
Danish names are funny things that look like American names only they sound like you are choking when you say them.
Søren (I can't describe the Ø sound, its like a really short u deep in your throat)
Mads (Mess)
Anne (Anna)
Frederick Alberto Rasmussen Sousa de Almeida (I just grunt when I say Frederick (Frelick))

Basic rules to saying words.
D's sound like L's when in the end of a word
All words are shortened when said
Half of all Danish words are English or spelled the same
Never try to say a word like it would be said in English

Basic rules in school
Always be prepared to answer a question with opinion.
Racism is allowed, but will start a heated argument between social classes whether Muslims should be allowed to be in Denmark.
Cussing strengthens your argument at times, but is commonly used when making a joke.
Make sure you remember your power cord for you PC, if you forget it you will be out of power by the time you need to use your computer for class.
Teachers will throw you out of the classroom.
If you miss too many days of class then the headmaster will threaten you with taking away the money the government pays you to go to school.
Don't drink alcohol during classes.

Basic rules in the most houses
Take off your shoes in all houses in the front entrance.
Dinner is a family meal and is only to be missed with prior permission.
You eat all the food you take
Showers are to be short.

Basic rules in my house
Same as above plus:
Keep doors closed and lights off in rooms not being used.
TV is turned off when you walk away.
Sound is not liked when too loud.
Each night there is family time where it is recommended to attend (pray, eat a dessert, drink schnapps, drink coffee)
No bed time, but you are responsible for getting up in the morning and attending class, skipping will result in getting yelled at.
Church on Sundays is recommended.

That's all I got for now.  I know you folks don't like to hear about alcohol in my posts, but it is a very important part of Danish traditions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Thanks.

Francine St. Laurent said...

haha det var en rigtig godt post! du hader din cykel? sounds like you need to get it fixed. you know that AFS pays for your bike to be fixed? just save the recipt.
it took me so long to learn to say fr in danish! and my host brother's name is frederik!
you've been thrown out of class? hah.. what did you do?
keep writing! :)
knus francine

jj.moore said...

Love this post cause all thoes 'rules' are so true!

Anonymous said...

I would say those rules are good anywhere. We always tried not to drink during class...
Mom