Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mandø Og Als

This last weekend the family and myself went to two different places.  We got to borrow the grandparents car and see a little of Denmarks finest sites.  I was not sure really what to expect at first, but I thought that any time spent traveling with the family would be great for our relationship... thus we sat almost silently to our destinations, and I don't know why but they would not turn on the radio. :(


Mandø Island
Mandø Island
Mandø island is a fun journey.  This is because the only way to get there is by tractor.  It is an island, but the water never gets deep around it.  Over the years many tourists have had major damage to their cars while trying to go to this island, because the tide may come in and take the car away with it.

  
Lucky for us we stayed far away from the water below.

Mandø is one of the Danish Wadden Sea islands off the southwest coast of the Jutland.  The Wadden Sea is a part of the North Sea.  The island is only seven and a half kilometers square and has 62 people living on it.  It is about 12 kilometers southwest of Ribe where I visited earlier to buy my bike.  Mandø has a rich history and this is why it is a popular tourist attraction.  During a flood in the early 17th century, everybody died due to a flood... wow... okay.

The enjoyment of this trip came from our many long meals and family times.  Each time we ate we sat for an hour.  We had home made bread, which is all we ever have, with cheese, jelly, peanut butter, butter, ham, and liverposti.  Not all of that together of coarse.  We sat and drank coffee, and for me hot chocolate.  It was cold at times, but it was a very fun journey as I had said before.  We returned late saturday night.  


Before returning home we decided to stop and wait for the Starlings to come flying over.  There were a lot of people all waiting, which is really strange.  They call it a sun blackout.  Cause there are so many Starlings, but none came and we went home.

Als Island
Going to Als Island the next day was a very different type of adventure.  We were going to Danfoss Universe, a science park.  You can click here to see a virtual map of the park in english.  The highlight of the day however was riding around on segways.  If you don't know what a segway is, it is a small vehicle with two wheels... ummm... they are just amazing, take my word for it.  The park was filled with interactive science exibits, in fact, there was nothing you could even read in the whole park, just a lot of stuff to do.  So Boris and myself ran around from one place to another acting like little kids, it was fun!

Danfoss is a large company that makes water pumps.  This is why one of the main exibits was a large blue building with water running down the outside of it.  It was neat and had ice, lava, and lightning inside, or at least videos of lava.  I am not sure I learned anything while being there, it is not like our science museums where you read each exibit, but it was a lot of fun.
After the day had ended I felt like doing some poses.  It was a good weekend and then I had to start school again.  I am not so afraid of going to school anymore, if I make a mistake then I just ask and try to figure out what is going on, there is no point in stressing out about grades, when grades have no difference in my life right now.  I am here to learn so much more then what they teach in class.

-In addition I would like to say that I am now taking language classes at the local language center and will start tonight at 6 until 8:10.  I will have this class 2 times a week every monday and wednesday.  This is not what many of the other AFSrs are doing, but I think this is the best for me.  Many other AFS students are taking the class during the day instead of going to school, this gives them 16 hours of language a week compared to my 4 hours of language.  This is okay, I will have a lot less stress because I will be going to school instead of having to catch up with school work later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! You are learning to ask questions and figure it out! I enjoyed making dinner with you and Boris the other day.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Kyle~
Too bad about the radio in the car ride but the island seems like a cool place to go. I hope you have better luck with the language than I did. Enjoy your time there, it goes by really quickly.

Ellen