Monday, October 20, 2008

Vacation Week

Fall break, or as a lot of exchangers call it, potato week, was a lot of fun.  I traveled and saw a whole bunch of friends during the trip.  My family and I borrowed Mormor og Morfar's car and set off to see others in the family.First we went to Nyborg.  Here we stayed with family for 3 nights and ate lots of food and of coarse drank our weight in tea and coffee.  During this stay I met a few of my friends who I knew lived in Nyborg which was a lot of fun.  Rebeca, Paublo and a few other exchange students went to the beach one of the days.  It was very cold, but I was glad to go and spend time with my friends.  I always miss the times that the other exchange students are away, I want to spend all my time with them.  I missed going to a castle in Nyborg with the family while at the beach, but sometimes you have to trade one thing for another.  Nyborg is a fairly large city on Fyn.  It is popular for its sea port and hosts the bridge that goes onto Sjælland.
After that we traveled back home to drop off Boris for work and went up to ____ and visited other family.  This was fun and we ate cake and ate a lot.  We also went to the zoo type place.  This zoo was very different from the zoos that I am used to thinking about.  You could feed most of the animals... and as far as deer and non-deadly animals, there were not many cages.  It seemed really dangerous as 30 or 40 bucks would stampeed across the path to go to another side of the park.

We also went to an art museum in Århus which was a lot of fun.  We only had enough parking time for an hour and a half so I didn't get to see too much in the large (maybe 9 floors) complex.  I really wish we had more time but I don't think my family were too into it.  Maybe they have been there before???

Over all the break was a lot of fun.  I learned a lot about Danish and also got to see my friends.  The reason we call it potato week is because this time of the year used to be time to harvest potatos and that is why we get time off.  Most Danes do not know this is the reason for the break and just think we are weird... it's okay though, they already think we are weird.

3 comments:

jj.moore said...

Sounds like fun. Well, you did a lot more than I did - a whole bunch of nothing.

Francine St. Laurent said...

hey dude! I saw you at the museum! haha.. nice pic! the "big boy" eh? it was so freakishly real.. haha

TheOhioCyclist said...

Yeah, It was tight seeing you there. Sorrrry Jennifer that you didn't do much. Send me a facebook message sometime and we could chill for a few days or something.