Friday, October 17, 2008

-The Daily Drive-

There are a lot of things new and fun in Denmark.  Little things I do every day are so different from what I do in The States.  After the shock of it though, I forgot exactly how different things really are.  
Transportation
Bikes are the main mode of transportation through the community.  I ride my bike or walk everywhere because my family does not own a car.  To get to school it only takes around 10 minutes, while to get to the town it takes 15 minutes.  I live in the town of Askov, but Vejen has the closest facilities as in super markets and bus stations.  Vejen also has a train station which is important.  I have traveled lots of places, mainly by train, which tends to be expensive.
School
School has no defined beginning and end.  I can not stress enough that the days are really relaxed and some days you only have two classes lasting one hour each.  This is okay though... I think.  The school has 4 short hallways and a common room.  The school has somewhere around 400 students.  Between each class we have a 10 minute break where people walk around and eat.  We also have a 20 minute break around noon to eat again.  I pack my lunch so I eat throughout the day during classes.  Another interesting thing is that everybody has laptops in class... everyone.
After School
After school I go straight home as does everyone else.  Once every two weeks we have a party after school on a friday.  This is when I get most of my socializing done.  For the most part nobody talks in class, this could account for the lack of socialization here.  Once home I can do homework or relax.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kyle -- Your daily ride to school looks really pleasant. Lots of greenery on both sides of the road/path. Glad to hear you now have a bassoon teacher. Tell us more about your lessons, though, as soon as you have formed an opinion about them. How's the teacher, the music, the travel to & from wherever you have to go, etc.?
We like your new scarf -- looks good on you. It probably helps a lot to keep you warm while riding your bike everywhere. Besides, think of the fashion statement you're making!
Love, Kay & Adon

Anonymous said...

Love the video! More, more of the everyday stuff!
Mom