Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Welcome to the basics of Danish Geography 101.  I will attempt to show you where I live and the cool places to go in case you are coming to visit Denmark.  These pictures were taken from Google maps as a screen shot, so you can in fact go to google maps and see closer to my exact location.

In the picture we have the whole country of Denmark.  Capitol city is København which is to the far right in the picture.  You can also see Århus, one of the more popular cities for site seeing.   I enjoyed my time in Århus and must say they have a great are museum.  I think the museum is all modern art.

The country is divided into 3 different regions.  Jylland is the peninsula where I live and is the largest, but not most populated, region.  Fyn is the island which contain Odense.  I go there once a week to study music at the Odense music hall.  There is also Sjælland which is home to København.  I am not sure what all these things are called in english other then København being Copenhagen, and Jylland being Jutland.

Then there is a closer picture here above.  If you look very close to the center of Jylland you will se Vejen.  This is the city closest to where I live.  The exact town that I live in is Askov, and is pronounced Ask-ow.  It is a long journey to go to Esbjerg or Kolding, and is typically taken by train on weekends.

2 comments:

jj.moore said...

Maybe you are talking about ARoS in Århus?? It is a modern art museum that is pretty popular. I haven't been there but I know that Haegen got an week intership there. Also, I'm not sure what Fyn is in English, but Sjælland in English is Zealand.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jennifer and Kyle. Some maps give the island of Fyn the name Funen.

I was also curious about the obvious similarity between Zealand the Danish region, and New Zealand, the country. I wondered if the country had possibly been founded by mariners from Denmark.

I guess the story is that there's a Dutch province named Zealand, or Zeeland, or somesuch, and that much of that area of the Pacific was explored by the Dutch, not the Danes.

A much more interesting historical journey lies in tracing Danish occupation of England. There's a wealth of information about it online.

BTW, Kyle, could you send us your Christmas itinerary so we can enjoy your British excursion vicariously? And don't forget to alert the AFS folks of your family's plans to take you out of the country. That's an AFS rule.

I'l send you pictures of the first good snowfall we have. I'd never have guessed you'd be pining for an Ohio winter!

--Dad.